If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (530) 241-2424

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Do NOT Plug These Into Your Power Strip

8/6/2021 (Permalink)

halt Call SERVPRO of South Shasta County at: 530-241-2424

Power strips can be a convenient solution when you have a shortage of electrical outlets. What most people are not mindful of is the fact power strips are only designed to handle electronics that pull a small amount of power. A power strip is primarily designed to handle AV equipment or low-power household items like lamps, laptops, tablets, or smartphones. If you end up plugging a device or appliance into a power strip that needs a large amount of electricity to function, you run the risk of overloading the power strip and potentially starting an electrical fire.

Here are 3 appliances SERVPRO of South Shasta County recommends you should never plug into a power strip:

Coffee Maker

Most coffee makers require quite a bit of amperage to operate. It is recommended to plug your coffee maker directly into an outlet, so you do not run the risk of an electrical fire.

Microwave Oven

We all love the convenience of using our microwave for food preparation, thawing, cooking, and reheating food. Unfortunately, a microwave requires more energy than a power strip can provide. Your microwave should have its own dedicated power outlet just like your conventional electric oven.

Hair-Care Appliances

Hair dryers, curling irons, and flat irons all pull an immense amount of electricity to function. Hair dressing appliances that operate with heat should always be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Even further it is a good idea to use a GFCI outlet to avoid the possibility of water exposure.

Other News

View Recent Posts